Wednesday, October 26

Chief Commissioner Clarifies Position on CSG



The Chief Climate Commissioner, Tim Flannery, was today misrepresented in the Australian Newspaper in an article titled “Tim Flannery backs coal seam gas”.

Professor Flannery commented that he was “very disappointed that the headline of the article seriously misrepresents my view and bears no resemblance to the speech I delivered.”

Professor Flannery had been quoted from a speech he had made at the NSW Minerals Council environment and community conference, a meeting of environmental workers in the minerals industry. He released the following statement in response:

“Today the Australian described me as a “backer” of the coal seam gas industry. This is not only wrong, but a serious misrepresentation of my speech yesterday to the NSW Minerals Council (NSWMC) environment and community conference.

What I in fact said at the meeting of environmental workers in the minerals industry is that serious conflicts exist between the coal seam gas industry and landowners, and that the industry faces enormous challenges as a result.

I have met communities and families that have been adversely impacted by coal seam gas and I have consistently criticised those in the industry who have left quality farmland damaged and families distraught. I have long held the view that companies and industries must be held responsible when they adversely impact communities or the environment.

There has been little research on the long term impact on prime agricultural land and, water resources from coal seam gas extraction. It is clear that the industry has the potential to damage all of the above. It is important that more research is done and that the industry is better regulated and held accountable.

Mining is an important and necessary industry in Australia. However, every industry can only operate with the support of the public. As the Climate Commission has travelled around Australia has become clear to me that there is substantial community concern about the impact of coal seam gas mining. My message at the conference yesterday was that community concerns should be of high importance to mining industry. The industry as a whole should want to ensure that there are proper regulations because otherwise they may well lose their social licence to operate.

I am very disappointed that I have been misrepresented and the public has been misinformed as to my view.”

Climate Commission

No comments:

Post a Comment