Wednesday, November 30

More about Coal


This rather wordy post is the text of a lecture Guy Pearse gave earlier this year. I have a link to a 'pdf' of the lecture in my previous post. It seemed to me that the topic is so important and the contents are so informative that I should post it fully. The scariest part of the lecture is that Pearse has since claimed that the numbers he used in this speech 'were woefully conservative'.
"Australia may well treble rather than double its coal exports by 2020. Factor in the “carbon light” CO2 from coal seam gas projects in the East (and other LNG expansion in the north and west) and you’re talking about Australia’s fossil fuel emission exports equating to TWO Saudi Arabias by 2020, not one as I’ve been saying to many disbelieving ears.  
This would mean that by 2020 the 159mtpa CO2-e saved by the Gillard CEF (with heavy reliance on imported offsets, many of which I expect to be very dodgy for reasons I won’t get started on here) would be erased more around 10 times over, not 4 times as I said in that speech…"

Read More

Earthsign Blogspot

No comments:

Post a Comment