Wednesday, January 25

Has Arrow Energy bought the Qld police force?

On Thursday, a rather chatty police officer told me something that I found quite shocking.

Just spent a couple of days at the community blockade of Arrow Energy’s CSG exploration drill site at Kerry, Qld, near Beaudesert. It was a real community gathering – all ages, kids playing in a temporary sandpit, supporters bringing an amazing smorgasbord of food (including a gobsmacking array of home-cooked cakes, scones and biscuits) and chairs/rainshelters/newspapers/books. There’s a buzz of animated discussion, and every now and then people got up to give impromptu performances of poems, stories and songs (even F and I had a go).

In contrast to this scene of community harmony, there was an enormous (and dare I say, unnecessary) police presence. I counted 10 police vehicles, with accompanying police officers, and 3 mounted police, with horses. And I wasn’t even there when the real action was happening.


The Creek Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment